Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Pentecost Ride

Being that today is Pentecost I decided I would try for a half century ride. Actually, that's not true I was planning on riding today but it had nothing to do with the Liturgical Calendar and I didn't decide to do 50 until I was already in the saddle.

I did however plug in a couple sermons into the ipod on the gift of spirit and mixed them with a little radiohead and lo and behold I got through it; although at one point it looked like it was threatening to storm on me and I had to think how tragically comedic it would be if I were struck by lightening while listening to Mark's Gospel describing the descent of fiery tongues on the apostles. Yes, that is strange thought.

The ride was very excruciating(as I type this I am icing my quads); At about mile 38 I had to overcome the psychology of the half century. My mind was telling me I couldn't do it and I would end up in a ditch passed out if I tried it. Being the moron I am I disagreed and pressed on. At about mile 42 I was out of sports drink and had no goo. Luckily, I happened passed a little country store and got some gatorade and gummy bears. This took me through 50 pretty easily although my body was none too pleased by what I had done to it.

Overall, this was a great ride. I realized while I was out on the country roads that I will miss this area and the people. Fortunately, I know that we will be trading in this place for a new place with a new set of experiences and people to enrich our lives. That doesn't mean I won't miss living in the country...

Stats

Distance: 51.1
Time: 3:13:42
Max: 33.9 (Wasn't paying attention where this occurred)
Avg: 15.7 (Actually got faster by .2 in the last 10 miles)
Odometer: 396.5

No comments: