Saturday, May 13, 2006

18 holes and 24 miles make a great Saturday



I woke up this morning at 5:30 to drive 40 minutes south to Westfields golf course in Virginia. It's funny how waking up at 5:30 to play golf at such an absurd hour of the morning is nearly effortless...especially compared to say, waking up at 5:30 in the morning to crank out the tps reports you were to lazy to do the day before and are due to your boss by 8:00. But I digress...

I had never been to Westfields before, and the Freddy Couples design failed to disappoint. On the contrary, the course was spectacular: challenging and playable at the same time -- not an easy task for most courses.

I bogeyed my first 7 holes then doubled 8 and 9. Heading into the turn my buddy Jeff -- who is my arch nemesis on the golf course (that bastard has beat me the last four outings) -- was one stroke up on me, and I had just tanked it on the last two holes.

After the turn, I proceeded to drop 3 mores strokes to Jeff after I bogeyed holes 10-13...but then, the magic happened.

I shot par golf on holes 14-18 to beat Jeff by two. Meaning, I shot a 39 on the back and an 86 overall.

For me, that's as close to the zone as I ever get.

Now, isn't this a cycling blog...oh yeah.

This afternoon I mustered the motivation to hit the trails knowing that Sunday called for rain and cold. I cranked out a solid 24 miles on the VA loop.

Stats:
23.6 miles
1 hr 35 mins
Avg: 14.7 mph
Max: 35.6 mph
Odometer: 582 miles

No comments: